Help! My Dog Just Got Into Some Toxins!

August 28, 2014

 

 

Every dog owner runs into trouble now and then. We accidentally leave something out, drop something while cooking, or spray cleaners or insecticides where our beloved pet can get into it. What is important is that you know what to do in those emergency situations! 

 

There are many dog toxins that are around our house and even in our fridge! Some common items include (not a complete list):

 

  • Household Items: Flouride, Batteries, Detergent, Hand Sanitize, Gorrila Glue, Insecticides, Rat Poison, NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve, Motrin), Antidepressant Drugs, 

  • Food: Alcohol, Apricot, Bread Dough, Chocolate, Caffeine, Cheery, Garlic, Grapes, Mushrooms, Onion, Peaches, Raisins

  • Plants: Aloe Vera, Azalea, Baby's Breath, Buckeyes, Calla Lilly, Ferns, Holly, Hemlock, Wisteria

 

Ingesting poisons is a time sensitive problem. If you suspect or know your pet has gotten into something call your veterinarian immediately. Avoid using home remedy solutions as they can actually cause more harm if not done correctly.

 

According to the Pet Poison helpline...  
 

"Detailed Instructions:

  • Immediately remove your pet from the area, and make sure no other pets (or kids!) are exposed to this area. Safely remove any remaining poisonous material from their reach.

  • Check to make sure your pet is breathing normally and acting fine otherwise.

  • Collect a sample of the material, along with the packaging, vial, or container, and save it – you will need all that information when you talk to your veterinarian or to a Pet Poison Helpline expert.

  • Do NOT give your dog any milk, food, salt, oil, or any other home remedies! Also, never inducing vomiting without talking to your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline – it may actually be detrimental or contraindicated to induce vomiting!

  • Don’t give hydrogen peroxide to your pet without checking with a vet or with Pet Poison Helpline first. For you cat lovers, hydrogen peroxide doesn’t work well to induce vomiting (it just causes massive foaming and salivating instead!), and stronger veterinary prescription medications are necessary to get your cat to vomit up the poison Kitty ingested!

  • Get help. Program your veterinarian phone number, along with an ER vet and Pet Poison Helpline’s phone number (800-213-6680) in your cell phone so you will always have immediate access to help.

 

Keep in mind that the prognosis is always better when a toxicity is reported immediately, so don’t wait to see if your pet becomes symptomatic before calling for help. It’s always less expensive, and safer for your pet for you to call immediately. Remember that there’s a narrow window of time when we can decontaminate (induce vomiting or pump the stomach) in the case of a poisoning!"

 

For a detailed list of all toxins or for more informaiton visit Pet Poison Helpline.

 

Sources: Pet Poison Helpline

 

Tags:

Please reload

Featured Posts

Setting Goals to Drive Your Training

November 6, 2018

1/1
Please reload

Recent Posts

October 9, 2014

Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

Follow Us
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

Certifications/Lisences:

Contact Us

Phone: 770-598-7274